Thursday, February 14, 2008

Prayer for an Amicable Divorce

Dear God,

Eight years ago you joined us in love and commitment

Today we stand before you having failed to live a married life of love and service to you and each other

Unable to jointly see any way back to fulfilling the pledges we made to you and each other

We now seek your forgiveness and mercy as we tear asunder what you joined together

Our disobedience is painful, our hearts are broken, our minds in turmoil

Calm our hearts and clear our thoughts when the destructive forces make us behave hatefully toward each – grant us a spirit of Christian reconciliation so that we can move forward in our actions in a way that recognizes your power to heal and bring peace.


I wrote this almost 2 years ago....while I was still living in the house with my husband. At the time I knew we were in crisis, but I was unaware of the magnitude of the destructive choices and forces that were impacting my life and my marriage. I wrote this prayer because his whole thing was "let's have an amicable divorce." Yet there was belligerence and hostility from both sides. My hostility mostly from a sense of betrayal and disappointment. His from.......I have my own ideas but I'll let him say if and when he is able to articulate the reasons for his hostility and anger. Two years later, I am calmer and healthier, still not divorced but clearly standing in my own values which gives me a certain amount of peace and contentment. I assume that he is also standing in his own values - at some point he will follow through on his desire to end our marriage.I am still waiting for amicable and fair. I hope to see my spouse's plans completed with my values intact and uncompromised.



Ps 27:14
Wait on the Lord : be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.KJV

No comments: